OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DR S. SRIKANTA SASTRI, M.A., D. Litt (1904-1974)

Dr. S. Srikanta Sastri

 

 

 

 

New Translation

 

 

Welcome to the Official Website of Dr. S. Srikanta Sastri, M. A., D. Litt (1904 - 1974) Library of Congress Catalogue Bodleian Library Catalogue Cambridge University Library Catalogue Press clippings of Dr S.Srikanta Sastri Harvard University Catalogue University of Chicago Library Catalogue

 

 

Upcoming

Translation

Dr S. Srikanta Sastri  (Courtesy - K. G. Somashekhar) Dr S. Srikanta Sastri Facebook Page S. Srikanta Sastri Twitter Page S. Srikanta Sastri Blog 'Sources of Karnataka History, Vol I' (Kannada Translation) by Dr H. S. Gopala Rao 'Bharathiya Samskruthi' [English Translation by Prof S. Naganath]

"Capitulation of Chitradurga" (1927) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

 

 

Copyright Free - Public Domain

Published in

Quarterly Journal of

The Mythic Society,

1927, Vol 18-2

 

"Capitulation of Chitradurga"  

(1927)

 

by

Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

Page 1 of 10

Download

To read the entire text please click on the centre of the box below

 

(Click to Enlarge)

 

Painting of North View of Chitaldurg (Chitradurga) by Lt. Rowley Engineer (1803)

 

In case of embedding error, kindly refresh the page

                       

                      Capitulation of Chitradurga

                                                               

                                                           by

                                          Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

                      (Published in Quarterly Journal of The Mythic Society, 1927)

 

 

The formidable fort of Chitradurga had been in the hands of Beydar Paleygars – the Medakere Nayaks – from the time of final disruption of the Hindu Empire of Vijayanagara. The successors of Rama Raya held a nominal suzerainty over the domains while the Nayaks and Paleygars held the real power all over the country. To mention a few – Nayaks of Madura, Medakere Nayaks of Chitradurg, Wodeyars of Mysore, Paleygars of Harappanahalli, Belur, Keladi, Ikkeri, Sante Bennur, Bellary, Chennapatna, Chikkamagalur, Devanahalli, Tarikere, Magadi, etc. Many of them claimed to be viceroys of the Vijayanagara Emperor. Thus Chitra Nayaka- Founder of Chitradurga – was authorized to build the fort by Krishna Deva Raya, while the Keladi Chiefs came into prominence under the same ruler and his younger brother Achyuta Raya. Raja Wodeyar of Mysore had allhis conquests confirmed by Venkatapati Raya at Chandragiri. Though for all practical purposes these chiefs were independent, yet they owed a nominal allegiance to the defunct Empire of Vijayanagara.

 

Chitradurga – called also Chintankal and Chinmaladri – had been of strategic importance from the days of the Hoysalas. In Vijayanagara times it was the seat of a viceroyalty and a special mint to coin Durgi pagodas – so called after the Durga – had been established. The Nayaks were always at war with the neighbouring chiefs especially those of Keladi and Harapanahalli. I hope to deal with the relationships of these chiefs which fill an important blank in the history of Mysore before the advent of Hyder and the English.

 

Vijayanagar had left in its wake those powerful baronages which carried on family – feuds from generation with increasing bitterness and animosity till the dominance of the Rajas of Mysore and above all the conquest –lust of that remarkable historical patronage Hyder put an end to all of them – a process which had its completion by the advent of the English.

"Capitulation of Chitradurga" (1927) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

7.4 Mb file

Entrance to Chitradurga Fort

"Capitulation of Chitradurga" (1927) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri Painting of North View of Chitaldurg (Chitradurga) by Lt. Rowley Engineer (1803) Entrance to Chitradurga Fort