OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DR S. SRIKANTA SASTRI, M.A., D. Litt (1904-1974)

Dr. S. Srikanta Sastri

 

 

 

 

New Translation

 

 

Welcome to the Official Website of Dr. S. Srikanta Sastri, M. A., D. Litt (1904 - 1974) Library of Congress Catalogue Bodleian Library Catalogue Cambridge University Library Catalogue Press clippings of Dr S.Srikanta Sastri Harvard University Catalogue University of Chicago Library Catalogue

 

 

Upcoming

Translation

Dr S. Srikanta Sastri  (Courtesy - K. G. Somashekhar) Dr S. Srikanta Sastri Facebook Page S. Srikanta Sastri Twitter Page S. Srikanta Sastri Blog 'Sources of Karnataka History, Vol I' (Kannada Translation) by Dr H. S. Gopala Rao 'Bharathiya Samskruthi' [English Translation by Prof S. Naganath]

"Uttarakashi Inscription of Guha" (1940) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

 

 

Copyright Free - Public Domain

Published in

The New Indian

Antiquary, Vol III,

1940 - 41

 

"Uttarkashi Pillar Inscription of Guha"  

(1940)

by

Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

Page 1 of 3

Download

To read the entire text please click on the centre of the box below

 

(Click to Enlarge)

 

Kashi Vishwanatha Temple (Present day)

 

In case of embedding error, kindly refresh the page

                       

         The Uttara Kasi Pillar Inscription of Guha

                                                               

                                                          by

                                        Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

                       (Published in The New Indian Antiquary, Vol III, 1940 - 41)

 

 

This inscription was discovered at Uttara Kasi in Tehri-Gharwal, by Pandit Chiddure Matha Virabhadra Sarma of Secunderabad (Deccan), who took an impression of it and has published some preliminary notices (1). The inscription is engraved on the dhvaja stambha before the temple of Siva at the Uttara Kasi. The pillar is called a Sakti stambha in the inscription and was erected to commemorate the victories of the ruler Guha. The pillar is now called a trisula and current legends assert that Siva's trisula after the destruction of Tripurasura, was established in this place.

 

The inscription is engraved in late Gupta characters of about the sixth century, but earlier than the Banskhera grants of Harsa. The language of the inscription is Sanskrt and the florid Kavya style of the record is reminiscent of the Allahabad inscription of Harisena and the Mehrauli inscription of Candra. The metres used are Sardula-vikridita and Sragdhara. The text begins with the symbol for Om and ends with the letter tha.

 

There was a ruler named Ganesvara whose praises were sung by men and who erected the resplendent temple of Bhava, high as the peak of Himavat. This forest-ruler (Vanajadhipa) considering all his wealth (including amatya etc.) as less than an atom and remembering the friendship of Indra, went to Sumeru with a cheerful mind. After him, his son, Guha by name, strong armed, wide-eyed, broad-chested, who had surpassed Manmatha, Kubera and Vyasa in good looks, charity and naya respectively, leading a gracious life and engaged in righteous activities, made this sakti (pillar) in front of Sambhu, to frustrate the ambition of the enemies. As long as the sun exists destroying darkness, like an ornament in the heavens, so long will remain the good fame of this king, who was the destroyer of his enemies.

"Uttarkashi Pillar Inscription of Guha" (1940) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri

180.7 Kb file

Kashi Vishwanatha Temple

Kashi Vishwanath Temple "Uttarkashi Pillar Inscription of Guha" (1940) by Dr S. Srikanta Sastri Kashi Vishwanath Temple (today)